Friday 12 January 2018

4. What I have learnt about the content and appeal of television and how I intend to demonstrate this knowledge and understanding in my production in order to communicate successfully with the target audience.

From my research of existing TV adverts I have found that the vast majority represent the average man and woman, they do however usually enhance their deodorants appeal by including extra, inspirational features and characteristics to their actor's, so that they attract more of the audience to come and buy their deodorant.

In TV adverts a common convention is to create a realistic character that represents the general public, but they almost always include an obtainable but appealing feature of what will happen to the audience if they use the deodorant.


In the screenshots and video above, from the Hugo Boss 'Man of Today' advert, you can see that Gerard Butler is presented a cool guy who takes the day as it comes and just takes everything in his stride, he doesn't let anything phase him. This is inspirational for the audience as it connotes across to them the idea that they can do anything they want, nothing can stop them, if they use Boss. I plan to use this idea in my adverts as I believe it will play well with my intended audience and will attract them to the thought of buying my product, as my product has the theme of being able to take on the world. You live your two lives, one active, one professional with Wave keeping you fresh between them.

Another appeal of TV adverts is the style of the actors in the adverts. As I said above, this attracts people to the adverts as they want to look good, they enjoy the idea of being able to live their lives to the fullest, and this is connoted through the way the actors dress as it denotes to the audience that they have money, if they're in a suit for example. 


In this lynx advert the man is dressed rather well and is shown to keep his composure even though he has made a mistake, and that he will inevitably get the girl because of this. This connotes the emotional appeal across to the audience, that they can do whatever they want if they use the product, but that they will also be able to get the girl/man and the connotations surrounding that by using this product. This will be connoted in my adverts through the way both actors stay calm throughout the adverts with the man always smiling to himself a little bit because he is in the right state of mind for what is about to happen and anything that could possibly go wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment