Sunday 14 January 2018

6. What I have learnt about the ASA, copyright and other industry standards in relation to television, and how I intend to use this knowledge and understanding, to ensure my production is appropriate to the media industry context of the set brief I have chosen.

The Advertising Standards Authority, ASA, is the body that controls and regulates the adverts that are shown on British television. Therefore I have to make sure that my two adverts follow the strict rules and guidelines set by the ASA, to ensure that my adverts are suitable to be shown on British television.

Rule 3.12: Advertisements must not mislead by exaggerating the capability or performance of a product or a service.
The Nivea Black or White ad is an example of an ad that follows this rule as it has been rigourously tested and proven to keep white clothes white and black clothes black, as it will not stain them. This is beneficial as it brings in revenue for them from people seeing the advert but it means they also wouldn't have lost money like they would have if the advert was banned.
In relation to this my product is designed simple and gives the idea that it will keep you fresh no matter what you are doing. Therefore my advert won't break the aforementioned rule and will be fit to be shown on TV.

Copyright Rules Another rule that I have to make sure I follow is the law around the copyrighting of music, as I plan to have two soundtracks playing throughout both of my adverts. The law with regards to copyright infringement protects the composers work until 75 years after it was released. This creates a problem as there isn't a lot of music that is 75 years old that would fit my adverts, let alone two songs. Therefore I have decided to use copyright free music that I've found online on audio library, these two songs are; Rock Angel by DJ Fuzz and Happy Rock by Bensound. This allows me to still have music in my two adverts, but I won't be breaking any rules whilst I use them.

E4's Target Audience
E4's target audience is made up of 59% females and 41% males, this results in the shows being shown on E4 to be slightly skewed towards women with shows such as 'New Girl' and 'How I Met Your Mother,' highlighting this fact and making it quite prevalent. The shows however do have appeal for men in the characters shown such as Barney Stinson, played by Neil Patrick Harris on 'How I Met Your Mother'.
As a result, I have decided to place my female character on the left side of the split screen as this is where the audiences eyes are more likely to focus, therefore making the my adverts skewed slightly more to females. However, I will have an inspirational male character who is shown to be a relatable guy, so that there is something for my male audience. My adverts will be shown between 7pm and 9pm on weekdays and I believe the way my characters have been presented will attract my audience into buying my product.

No comments:

Post a Comment