Saturday 13 January 2018

5. What I have learnt about the representation of events, issues, individuals, and social groups in television, and how I intend to demonstrate this knowledge and understanding in my production in order to communicate meaning successfully.

The representation of individuals and issues in television adverts has changed greatly over the past few years. As society has changed to become more politically correct, which means TV advert makers must also change their adverts so that they retain their audience, while also attempting to expand it.

An example of this is the lynx ad campaign, which has changed massively over the past few years, from being the 'get the girl' ad to the much more toned down version of this, while also becoming a unisex brand.



This change in Lynx' advertising is very significant as it shows just how the representation of individuals and social issues in TV advertising has changed. I have decided to follow this change to an extent with my female protagonist being very self sufficient and denoted as a strong independent woman, which also plays to E4's female target audience, while my male character is still similar but a lot less brash as the men were in earlier lynx adverts.

Another challenge to gender stereotypes and how they are portrayed in the media can be seen very clearly in the Channel, Coco Mademoiselle advert which features Keira Knightley and Alberto Ammann. Kiera Knightley is portrayed as the strong independent woman and is supposed to be a representation of all women in society. This bodes especially well with the soundtrack that Channel used, 'It's a man's man's man's world,' to help get their point across of challenging stereotypes and the representation of women in TV adverts.


For my TV adverts I have decided to keep my male actor as the fairly stereotypical male, however my female actor will be challenging the traditional female stereotype, as I plan to include scenes of her throwing and american football, playing sport in the park. These scenes will come together to form a character that challenges gender norms and and individual's identities.

No comments:

Post a Comment