Thursday 11 January 2018

3. What I have learnt about the codes and conventions of television, and how I intend to demonstrate this knowledge and understanding in my production in order to communicate meaning successfully.

In the TV advert industry there are many codes and conventions that the producers follow as these are sure fire methods and give good results for the company making the product as it entices people very well into buying their product. I plan to use these codes and conventions to accurately aim my product towards E4's target audience of 16-25 year olds from both genders although slightly skewed towards females as they represent the larger proportion of E4's viewers.

I have found, looking through lots of deodorant adverts that a common convention is that the deodorant bottle is very central to the filming and is at the forefront of what the actor is doing. This is to ensure that the audience remember what the product looks like and that the image of it is fresh in their head. The product designers however do have to make sure that what they are selling is eye-catching, so that it produces good results.

As a result I have planned for the bottle in my advert's to be very prominent, especially at key moments when the audience will remember what it looks like this is why it features at the start of my advert 1 and at the very end of both of my adverts, so that it is the first and last thing they see, as this is a convention of TV adverts. Another convention is to have a sound effect of the deodorant being sprayed, I will be sure to put spraying sound effects into both of my adverts, to follow these codes and conventions accurately.

Another convention of TV adverts is to have the actor use the product that they are promoting as this plays well with the audience, because the actor is representing them and how they would be using it. Therefore the audience will identify with the actor and see themselves as that person.
In the above screenshot from the Dove and Nivea adverts, the convention is to show the actors using the deodorant. As a result I have included three shots, one of the male actor and one of the actress, spraying the deodorant on. These adverts also have the convention of having written text on the screen and a pack shot of the bottle at the end. I will make sure to do this as they are both major conventions for deodorant adds.

In most deodorant adverts the focus of the commercial is on you, as seen in the screenshot below, with 'you' being referenced a lot. Their use of speaking in the second person is very effective as it denotes to the audience that this could be them, they get a real sense of involvement and can identify with the actor/character very easily. This advert also includes conventions such as voice over, which will feature at the end of my adverts as well as music that plays throughout this advert as it will in both of mine.
My adverts will contain the sense of 'you' in them. It will feature in my adverts through the way the characters are portrayed so that it is an accurate representation of E4's target audience in both my adverts, to have the maximum possible effect on the audience. I am following this convention as it represents who the deodorant is actually for, 'you,' and I believe that this is one of the most effective ways of getting your message across, especially as my slogan is, "Don't crash out, Ride the Wave." It is all about you, even though that isn't explicitly mentioned in the slogan it is connoted in the phrasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment